Friday, November 5, 2010

Criterion Dynascope RV-6 Project: "In the Beginning"


“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.”  - Seneca

For the inaugural project of "This Old Scope" (TOS) I choose (for better or for worse) to attempt to rehabilitate a recklessly abused old classic Criterion Dynascope RV-6 that I found while perusing the listings at craigslist.

But first... I should mention a bit about myself.

I've been involved in amateur astronomy for nearly 30 years with my most active and focused period occurring when I was a teen during the 1980s.

From the outset I had at least as much interest in the telescope itself as I had for the typical amateur activities of observation, sketching, astrophotography and the like.

Whenever I would get my hands on the latest copy of Astronomy or Sky and Telescope magazines, I would immediately spend a good hour pining over the ads, the equipment reviews and the do it yourself projects before cracking into the general astronomy related articles.

Soon, I found myself with a subscription to "Telescope Making Magazine" plus the entire series of back issues, a copy of Richard Berry's "Build Your Own Telescope" and a 50 gallon drum in the basement for grinding my own mirror.

That said, I still have a tremendous amount to learn about mirror making, telescope construction and restoration so now that I'm a settled family man I'd like to revisit my love of the telescope by taking on a series of projects that I will fully document and chronicle here at TOS.

Hopefully in the process I will be able to rekindle my love of the telescope while producing a stream of useful DIY information for anyone with similar interests.

Now back to the project at hand!

As you can see from the photo above, this scope is a sad case indeed.

The man I bought it from was an interesting case too... In his late 40s as best as I could judge, I couldn't help but feel a tad bit melancholy as he recounted how his father had bought him the scope years ago and how he had left the mount out in the rain and snow year after year while always being sure to keep the optical tube assembly indoors.

Here was a classic scope... no... THE classic scope... a six inch Criterion Dynascope being treated like a cheap throwaway import.

Back when this scope was purchased (somewhere around 1972 - 1973), the standard RV-6 model cost roughly $325 which, adjusted for inflation, is about $1,598 in 2010 dollars... a notable investment in a special gift likely given under special circumstances.

Things sure don't always work out as one plans and this man's father had likely never anticipated such a lowly road for this fine instrument... but such is life.

After a few more pleasantries, I paid him the $100 he was asking for the scope and he offered to help me load it into my car.

As we wrestled with getting the mount into the back seat I suddenly noticed a significant stream of water flowing from the clock drive chamber... we locked eyes... "Not a good sign" he said self-consciously.

I reassured him that it was fine, I had anticipated the worst and if the clock drive didn't work, I would simply add it to the list of things that needed attention in order to restore the scope.

We shook hands and off I drove.

Next up: "Disassembly and Decisions"

Best to all,
BBG

No comments:

Post a Comment